29 April 2015
Keeping the Groom-to be Involved
After their proposal has been accepted, some men are happy to be given a date and time to arrive for the wedding ceremony and have no part in the planning, while others will want to be involved, and sometimes too involved! If your husband-to-be is in the first category, here are some tips on getting him interested.
1. Talk to each other and tell him that you can't do it all by yourself, and as it should be one of the best days of your life for both of you, you would like him to be involved.
2. Ask him to do all the negotiations regarding booking the photographer, the venue, the menu, the transport etc. These will be some of the major outlays, and being in charge should make him feel important and more in control of the finances.
3. Ask him for his suggestions for the wedding in terms of wedding theme and colours, cake, music and entertainment, and don't rule them out immediately if you don't approve. Try to include some of his ideas with yours.
4. Be diplomatic if some of his ideas are not in line with yours. Not many brides would be in favour of a football themed wedding for example, but try to rule it out tactfully. If you upset him you risk making him lose interest altogether,and you will be left with all the planning.
5. Reward him when he comes up with good ideas - how is up to you. Everyone likes praise and you may increase his enthusiasm.
6. Don't keep nagging him about a task he's been given - trust him to get it done in time, though perhaps not as quickly as you would have liked. Keep nagging and he will wonder if he has chosen the right bride.
7. Let him get involved in choosing the menu for the reception. Most men enjoy their food so this should be something he can get his teeth into.
8. Give him the chance to organise the music and entertainment for the wedding and reception. The music for the ceremony should be personal to you and your groom, but trust him with the reception. If he loves something obscure you may need to encourage him to include more mainstream music as well to cater for all your guests. Prove that you can compromise if necessary.
Wedding planning can be very stressful but as long as there is communication, things will work out. Two people who love each other and are willing to compromise can plan a great wedding that makes them both happy and is a treat for their guests to share in.